Thursday, May 2, 2013

Vegan Basil Tamari Brussels Sprouts

I have a fridge full of veggies at the moment, which means experimentation!

I love brussels sprouts. I eat 'em raw when I'm of the mind. But Dave isn't fond of the mini cabbages, so I have to find a way to make them delectable. I saw a post on Pinterest for roasted brussels sprouts that inspired me. And since I'm trying to eat as vegan as possible (which isn't always possible under my current circumstances), I've made a vegan recipe that's about as simple as it can get.

One of the ingredients is Basil olive oil. I purchased mine from Olive Cart, which is located in South Haven, Michigan. I found the shop on an off-season visit to the Lake Michigan beach town last year. Great place, lots of flavors, and they ship.

Tamari Roasted Brussels Sprouts

You need:
About a pound of brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
Basil Olive Oil
Tamari (you can substitute soy sauce if necessary)

I will admit, I used the glop measuring system. Mix the sprouts with a couple of glops of the basil olive oil, and 3 to 4 glops of tamari. Spread them on a cookie sheet. Pop in a 400-degree oven for about 15 minutes, stirring after about 10 minutes. My oven is a little wonky, so that time is variable. The sprouts should start to turn brown on the edges when they are done.

These sprouts got the eye-roll of approval from Dave. And the little leaves that fall off in the process make great little crunchies.

No comments:

Post a Comment